The Real Me

The Real Me

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 66

So I wonder what qualifies as a great painting... and who gets to decide? Rejected from yet another exhibit, I find myself licking my wounds, questioning my technique and subject matter. Then someone tells me how moved they were in seeing one of my pieces in my storefront window - one of the very pieces rejected just a couple of days ago by an arts association juried exhibition. So, I will paint on. For myself. Maybe for someone else. When I teach the Artist's Way class, I tell people that art is about the PROCESS. One needs to enjoy the making of the art, rather than focus on the finished piece. I wonder - have I done the very thing to my art that I said I would never do? I think that maybe I need to find a couple of part time "real jobs" to earn the rent, etc that life requires of us. And allow my painting to once again become pure and simple play. Or maybe not. The plan is to close the gallery doors on December 31, 2010. I'm not sad, really. I'm viewing it as an opportunity to move on to something else. Maybe even free myself up for a new level of creativity that having a formal gallery has taken away - or rather I have allowed it to take away. 100 days of painting. I am learning a lot. The brushes are calling... xo

No comments: